Thursday, July 8, 2010

"Rain showers my spirit and waters my soul."

Long time no post! Wonderfully, I have been busy with a brand new start in culinary school. Class everyday. Hours of study afterward. Unbelievably intense instruction. In other words, DIVINE.

My skills instructor, Chef Dodd (an incredibly talented, cheeky, British man), says "And over here, Kenna is doing a fine job on her knife skills. *Harrumph* You pastry folk always seem to have a knack for knife cutting."
-"I s'pose we're just a persnickety bunch, meant for fine detail, Chef. (cheese!)"  
Dodd: "...'snickety. I like 'at."

Now, even my after school snacks don't stand a chance. Apple, you have met your match.

brunoise, julienne, sliiiice

Today is the epitome of a stormy, summer day. Cool and cozy, this type of day always puts me in a hot beverage type of mood.

mom dubbed over these flowers, "close up ladies! don't let your hair get wet!"

Coffee on the brain, I went to start a pot. Only, I had a difficult time finding the carafe. So, I flipped open our mug cabinet in an attempt to swipe a cup and whadya know! There it sat. Mom blames me for moving it absentmindedly; I blame the dog for Mom's early mornings and slumped psyche. Regardless of whose fault it is, it had Mom and I chuckling for the better part of the afternoon.


A bold, Belizian coffee warmed my tummy and (let's be honest, caffeine) cleared my head. To the point, I love coffee. BUT, is anyone else ever confused at the complex language that defines what would otherwise be called "a good cup of joe"? Who knew you could describe a beverage with words like "height" and "depth". Most confusing of all, how can coffee have notes of blackberry or vanilla? (Seriously, I just think it's marketing sometimes.) My unrefined palette can really only pick out distinct references to depth in roasting, acidity, and hints of chocolate.

(BEWARE: FOODIE GEEK-OUT)
Chocolate, Theobroma cacao or 'food of the gods', is one of 19 species that contains Theobromine, an alkaloid that (along with caffeine) has physiological effects on the body. Coffea (of which coffee originates), Ilex paraguariensis (yerba mate), and Camellia sinensis (tea) are other species in which this alkaloid exists. [This is also the toxin that makes chocolate and coffee poisonous to dogs.] My point? The coziness we feel when we consume chocolate, coffee, or tea is not just nostalgic psycology. Theobromine is known to be mood-enhancing (ooOoo), and is a known stimulant and vasodilater (a fancy reference to widening blood vessels). 

Coffee. Chocolate. A dynamite pair and a delicious comfort to us all.

Chocolate + coffee pairing recipe(s) to come in my next post!


Coe, Sophie. The True History of Chocolate. 2nd.
London, UK: Thames & Hudson Ltd, 2007. 25-31. Print.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Kenna,
I am so excited for you! It IS truly Divine to follow your passions and callings! I will watch your journey with great interest and love.
Aunt Chris

KennaKae said...

I'm so happy to share it with you even though you are states away. Isn't technology great? Love you!

JC said...

Creative, educational, and yet another reason to continue brewing my favorite fair trade or organic coffee every morning. Looking forward to some recipes of awesomeness. Keep updating!